Encephalitis is an acute inflammation (swelling) of the brain usually caused by a viral infection.
The course of viral encephalitis varies. Most people infected with viral encephalitis have only mild or no symptoms, and the
illness doesn’t last long. Serious cases can cause headaches, high fevers, lethargy, convulsions, delirium, coma, and
even death, or may leave significant cognitive impairment. Impairment can include loss of memory, the inability to speak coherently,
lack of muscle coordination, paralysis, or hearing or vision defects.
What is E Global?
Encephalitis Global (E Global) is a U.S.A. 501(c)(3) public charity formed
in 2005 as an alliance connecting encephalitis survivors and caregivers around the world.
E Global sponsors a discussion forum at Inspire.com of more than 2,300 members.
E Global strives to raise awareness,
aiming to promote swift diagnosis, to alleviate unnecessary suffering and to prevent untimely death.
E Global’s Objectives
- To support those affected by encephalitis by offering information, resources
- To create a network of survivors and caregivers
sharing treatments, therapies and medications for optimal recovery;
- To raise awareness of encephalitis, striving for swift diagnoses, and optimal long-term treatments and therapies;
- To advocate for research in partnership with our survivor community, medical
institutions and researchers;
- To encourage experts
in encephalitis to partner for educational purposes; and
- To honor families whose loved ones have died of encephalitis.